Monday, November 05, 2007

The Mighty Electrician

We'll get to the title later. First off, thank you to those of you who commented on my last post, yes even you John. I was wondering if another reason that youth in our culture are worshipped is because of the simple principle of scarcity. It used to be that getting old was a real accomplishment. Most people didn't live long enough to be old. So the elderly were revered and treasured. Now the elderly is the fastest growing demographic. There are more elderly than youth, therefore each youth is treasured more because we have less of them. On to the title.

I don't consider myself handy around any house. I know enough to be dangerous to myself and others. Tonight a neighbor boy came to my house in a panic, because their power had blown. It was a windy evening, so I first check my street. It looked like everyone else had power. My first inclination was, here, use my phone and call your land lord. I know, I'm a pansy. I went over to their house to find that the problem was 3 blown breakers and a burned out light bulb. All stuff even I can fix. Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty happy with my self at the moment. It's time for my question.

We want to have upwards of 6 kids. In this culture that is considered weird. Is having more kids something to be praised, or is it irresponsible? Don't worry, we got thick skins. I got nothing funny for you tonight. Go stick your tongue out at yourself in the mirror if you want a laugh.

4 Comments:

Blogger Justin & Elizabeth said...

I think it's something to be praised and very responsible.
The Bible says Children are a blessing from the Lord. But then again Justin and I would be happy with six plus little rascals running around our house...

I found it rather scary that in last weeks sunday paper here there was an interview of a woman who was going to speak to the American Youth Legion in Lancaster. One of her qoutes in the article stated something like this...
"I escaped my marriage and the death sentence of motherhood to pursue an adventurous career in travel..." I was thinking, "lady those are some strong words you're using there!" How sad that our culture views motherhood as a punishment... something you want to get out of... How frustrating that this is the message our youth are getting!

I think it's very responsible to have a pile of kids. Some people invest a pile their money in retirement accounts to take care of them in their old age. However when the money is gone, it's gone and there is nothing to show for it.

Our retirement plan (some would say is rather old-fashioned) involves having a whole pile of kids to take care of us in our old age. And unlike money, these children will hopefully continue to be a blessing to this world a long time after we're gone! I bleieve this is how God intended it to be! (Okay,I'm not saying it's wrong to invest money for retirement either, we're also doing that:-)But it is very neat to see how my grandmother who has a form Alzheimer's has been able to stay at home even though she continues to deteriorate because her 7 children are sharing the load of caring for her! How neat-- because her many children can divide up her care, not one of them is overwhelmed by the responsibility.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most important thing is that you and Kris agree on the number of kids to have. What ever anyone else says is of no consequence.

Bob

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kids are alright. If you are responsible with them and have enough to support them then it is a responsible decision, but if you are like "hey i'm tired of you guys and we don't make enough money to eat so go sell drugs" then it is a irresponsible decision and you probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place. Actually if you do things like that you should probably be in jail.

11:07 PM  
Blogger halsteadmama said...

okay so my two cents on the kid thing is that it just depends on your parenting. If you are just having kids to have kids than please have no more, but if you are having kids because that is what you feel God wants you to do and you are raising them to be godly than awesome have a ton!

Okay so my real question is are you bringing settlers to thanksgiving? do you have cities and knights also? Have you ever played Ticket to Ride? I think that we will bring our settlers/citie and knight that way if we need two boards we will have it and if you weren't planning on bringing it than we have one. We'll bring Ticket to ride also because we think that it is fun. Not nearly as indepth as Settlers but still fun! See you in a few days
andrea

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home